Book Review: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

If you're a Harry Potter fan, it's extremely likely that you will have already skedaddled to the book shop/ordered online the latest charity spin-off from J.K. Rowling - The Tales of Beedle the Bard - mentioned in the final instalment of the series: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

This book raises money for CHLG, with £1.61 from the sale of standard edition book going to Jo's co-charity (MEP Baroness Emma Nicholson of Winterbourne is the other founder). CHLG aims to help the 1 million children across Europe still living in large residential institutions, and it works at a political and practical level to ensure that UN minimum standards for the care of children are implemented across the whole of Europe and beyond.

So, the reason behind the book deserves a round of applause, but was it any good? The book features the original Tales of Beedle the Bard, translated by Hermione, with a commentary after each from the late Albus Dumbledore. There's also an introduction from Jo and her own illustrations throughout.

To be honest, there's not much I can say about it. If you're a fan of the series you're going to get little tidbits about the world of Hogwarts, previously unknown, and you'll like it because it is Harry Potter-related. Viewed as mere fairy tales, they hit the fairy tale requisite, and highlight the usual moral cautions. All in all, this is an enjoyable, but quick, read for any Harry Potter fan and it's for a good cause - what more can I say!

Has anyone else read this, or are you not Harry Potter fans? (Say, what?!)

6 comments

  1. I actually talked about the Potter books with my girlfriend the other day. I haven't read them yet but watched the films so far and enjoyed them so I think I'm gonna read the books. I get through a book quite fast and it's been ages since I read a series of books. Last one was probably Narnia when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to read them - I can't believe you haven't already! And if you ever have any Harry Potter questions, trust me, I'm the person to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bad Harry Potter fan.

    I haven't read it, yet.

    Heck, I still need to read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn and I love me some vampires. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it only came out on Thursday - it's acceptable not to have read it!

    My copy of it arrived with my copy of "Breaking Dawn". :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. In spite of my spending my life in bookshops, I'd forgotten it was coming out. I'm just not as excited by it as I was by the Harry Potter books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true, Richard. I saw it on the news when it was first announced, but then Amazon e-mailed me as well, so I pre-ordered it. But, it is for a good cause so that means it doesn't have to be as exciting as when the proper HP books were released. :0)

    ReplyDelete