Invisalign diary: Week one

After dithering for far too many years, I finally began my Invisalign treatment last week. And in the style of my Coronavirus diary, I've decided to share my journey. I won't do a diary every week, but I will keep you updated on how I'm getting on.

But why am I doing this? So my top teeth are pretty decent (I had a retainer for a while as a teenager, not a full-on brace) but they have definitely moved in recent years and started to bug me. My bottom teeth have always been wonky, but my dentist as a teenager never saw that as a problem, so no treatment, and I only smile with my top teeth so they've never bothered me. See below (this is the most recent photo of me pre-treatment commencing; I'll spare you the close ups of my mouth):

I'm hoping my treatment will be pretty quick. I have 18 aligners, which I'll change every two weeks, which means I'm currently looking at seven months treatment time. But, my plan includes two rounds of refinement if we're not happy with how my teeth have moved (tracked). Fingers crossed I'm seven and done! I'll go back to the dentist every eight weeks to see how I'm getting on, and I'm supposed to wear my aligners for 20-22 hours a day (only removing them to eat, drink and brush my teeth - I can drink water with them in). 

This, of course, isn't really week one, per se, as I had a fair few appointments before I stared treatment to get scans of my teeth, and to see how my teeth would move after those scans. Some people will also wear aligners for a few weeks, then go back to have attachments fitted (little buttons that help the aligners to grip better to move teeth), but I had everything done on day one. Here's how I've got on, so far:  

Day one:
Invisalign treatment begins! Was at the dentist for around 40 minutes to get my attachments put on my teeth (5 at the top; 6 at the bottom) and to have IPR (interproximal reduction), which is shaving to make some room for certain teeth to shift position. Not the most pleasant thing but, for me, much nicer than a hygienist appointment. 

Lulled into a false sense of ease today as no apparent lisp and no issues when eating. Also surprisingly easy to pop the aligners in and out, which gives a lot of people major issues. Biggest concern is not knocking off the attachments based on dentist's remarks that this is a possibility (Google suggests this should be a rare occurrence). Already fed up of brushing teeth more than normal.  

Day two:
Now the fun begins. The attachments have started to shred the inside of my mouth. And have a bit of a lisp. Tight pressure on the teeth when I remove the aligners, which is making eating a very slow process as everything feels weird. Would describe it as trying to eat with jagged pieces of gravel swirling around my mouth.  

Day three:
First day wearing Invisalign in the office. My one and only cup of tea is at 6.50am, before I left the house, and there was zero chance to get another cup all day as was in a workshop where I couldn't easily disappear to do the teeth brushing routine.

Lunch a struggle. Afternoon also a struggle as serious pain from the shredded mouth. (And couldn't partake in the fizzy drinks and chocolate as, again, didn't want to disappear to do the teeth brushing routine.)

Headed home via the pharmacy to grab Bonjela. Helped a bit with the shredded mouth, but dinner still a struggle. Somewhat regretting Invisalign today. 

Day four:
Now developed earache and a sore throat. Suspect it's Invisalign-induced and not germ-induced as the pain lessens substantially when I remove said Invisalign. Also have swollen lips. Google tells me I could be allergic to the aligners. Panic.

Day five:
Feels like a turning point. OK, earache and sore throat still around but the tight teeth feeling has disappeared and it's a bit easier to eat. Will celebrate the small wins. 

Day six:
Another turning point. Attachments smoothed out considerably so dramatic improvement to eating abilities. Lips no longer swollen, but still have excessive saliva. Which has been the case since day one. Hopefully that symptom will be on the out shortly. 

Day seven:
Discover today it's dehydration that causes me to lisp slightly. So that's good news. Just need to drink water. All the water. At the end of week one, feel like I'm getting there. Definite less wishing away the next seven months to just get this over and done with, thank goodness. 

No comments