2011 resolutions review

My last post of 2010 had me looking forward rather than looking back on the year, which is how I came up with a bunch of resolutions neatly categorised into various life sections. This is how I fared:

Professionally I want to find a fabbity new job that challenges me:
I didn't have just one new job, in 2011 I worked for five different employers. Two I really loved - my freelance positions at Grayling and UNICEF - and then there were the two I really hated, to the point I quit both of those jobs without the security of another job to go to... like you do.

Luckily both times things worked out - the first time I was out of work for six weeks, but that did mean I got to finally watch all four seasons of Mad Men; the second time I was unemployed a grand total of half a day before I accepted the position I am in now. It's early days on that one...

Pipe dream-wise I shall dedicate more time to writing and submitting my books:
Didn't happen, but things are going to change in 2012. I don't care if I spend an hour a day writing or an hour a week, book writing shall be done and once it begins I suspect I'll fall in love with writing all over again.

Money-wise I hope to clear my credit card debt and build up some savings:
Cheque! [Sic.]

Location-wise I need to move more central, hopefully with people I know and like:
When I wrote this resolution I was living in the French hell-hole, out in zone 3. Good news, I escaped to zone 1 and lived in Bloomsbury for 5 months, but moved again last month to zone 2. With my boyfriend. Who I can safely say I know and like.

Travel-wise I'd like to spend some time in NYC and visit 2 or 3 new countries:
Will I ever get to NYC?! 2012's plan says YES, but I guess we'll only know this time next year!

I did visit those two new countries however - Italy and The Netherlands - and I guess I can claim three if I sneakily include Vatican City! Then there was the pre-Christmas getaway to Paris, a city I've been to a billion times, but somewhere Olly has never visited. Travel-wise, I had three lovely holidays in 2011.

Taking lots of photos with my fabbity new camera, seeing a few new musicals and ticking off some more Michelin star restaurants should definitely be in the plans for 2011! 
Check, check, and check! I made it to the West End/The O2 17 times this year(!) - should have been 18 but I didn't make it to Blood Brothers because of the London riots - plus dined at the likes of Rhodes W1, Swan at The Globe, Paramount, Marco Pierre White, Seven Park Place by William Drabble, Benares, Arbutus, Barbecoa, The Ritz, Maze and Kai.

I ate far more frequently at less name-dropping restaurant - The Giggling Squid in Brighton, Bodean's (across London) and Tumeric Gold in Tonbridge, to name some of the best - not to mention all the yummy meals that Olly has cooked for me.

Finally, I must try not to over-analyse, be indecisive or unhappy, and I will surround myself with people who are worth it. I will remember that I cannot control everything, that nothing is a given, and that in life you make your own happy ending.
Definitely. I think I'm finally getting there, Treacles, although life? Well, it's just one big learning curve, isn't it? Hope your 2011 was as you hoped, and wishing you all a fabulous and fear-free 2012 to achieve what you've always wanted to achieve. How did you fare with your 2011 resolutions? xoxo

1 comment

  1. What a year! Congrats on everything, and here's hoping 2012 brings you even more wonderful things! :-)

    ReplyDelete