Maybe I'm missing the point?

Sometimes you get told about something and you don't know how you ever lived without it. And then you're recommended to have a look at something else and you end up wondering what planet your friend is actually from.

Maybe I'm missing the point with these recommendations? Tell me if I am.

First up is facto.me, which is actually the brainchild of Kyle Bragger, the founder of Forrst. You can add a random fact about yourself and rate other people's random facts as one of the following:
  • Knew that!
  • Didn't know that
  • Me too!
  • Awesome
  • Whoa
  • Weird!
  • Boring
  • No way
As it seems to be a motley mix on there, I don't really care if randomer A was a Russian soldier in their third-grade play of The Nutcracker, or that randomer B's favourite colour is teal. I don't know these people; their randomness has zero value to me, and I'm not sure what anyone can gain from my facts either. Delete account - next!

And that would be Wordr, which sells itself as "like Twitter", except you can only post up one word that's less than 28 letters long. Oh, and it doesn't even have to be a real word either, you could post up "euswofbg" if you so wish. Although, we all know *that* means "what a pointless website". I could see the appeal if it was a word association game, maybe, but it just seems to be people posting up random words for no purpose whatsoever.

Maybe I'm missing the point with these two, but somehow I don't think I am. Has anyone else used these and found them of interest?

3 comments

  1. Wordr looks ridiculous. What's the point!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree - Wordr is a bit odd (unless it's actually satire on the banality of some Twitter updates).

    The only interesting feature I can really see is usage which, if they had the traffic and number of updates of Twitter, could potentially provide insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see it's not just me who is struggling with the point of Wordr!

    ReplyDelete