TMTW: January 2023

What happened:
2023, here we go! After a chilled New Year's Day, we headed to the seaside on the bank holiday to get some sea air. I stopped doing resolutions properly a while ago, but my loose ambition is to make one seaside trip per month (more or less). We started off well with a roadtrip to Worthing, a cute little town. 

Next up on the fun things we did in January, a visit to the Tate Modern to experience Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirror Rooms. Which was smaller than I thought it would be - the exhibition space - but fun to explore the installations. 

Our first show of the year happened, The Mousetrap, which is celebrating 70 years on the West End and an opening on Broadway. I can't believe it took me until now to see it! It was enjoyable but we both guessed the murderer in the first act. For a modern audience, I don't think it's as much of a twist as it would have been back in the day. 

    
Finally, we went to An Evening With Phil Rosenthal at the Hackney Empire since we're big fans of the Netflix show, Somebody Feed Phil. Not the usual sort of thing we'd do, but it was a great evening. And we somehow managed to be first in line after the show to meet Phil, who is as nice as you would expect him to be. 

What I ate:
Fish and chips in Worthing, obviously, and then we went all-in for an excellent Sunday roast at Blacklock (as always). I met a friend for dinner at Marugame, had a team dinner at East Putney Tavern, had a date night dinner at Bubala, plus we ate at Mare Street Market in Hackney (cool place; average food) and also had a roast at Grasshopper on the Green in Westerham. 

What I watched:
TV shows: Wednesday, James May: Our Man in Italy, season 3 of The Boys, The Bear, plus started watching The Masked Singer, The Last of Us, This Is Pop and season 3 of For All Mankind. We also tried to watch National Treasure: Edge of History but found it a bit rubbish. 

Films: Mission: Impossible II, Mission: Impossible III, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Wayne's World 2, Chicago and Jurassic World: Dominion.

What I read:
In January I read 13 books. The Princess Purge and The Princess Strike by Cordelia K. Castel were both 4* reads for me. 

I'm going to try and not buy any new books this year as my TBR pile is 800+ but I have already broken that, once or twice, already, so we'll see how I get on. This might encourage me to finally join the library here though!

How's your new year going? x

No comments