Writer Wednesday: Suzy Turner

Suzy Turner has worked as a journalist, assistant editor, features editor and magazine editor. Early in 2010 however, she began writing full time and has since completed six books for young adults (the Raven Saga and The Morgan Sisters series) and one chick lit novel, Forever Fredless.

Although Suzy is a Yorkshire lass at heart, she left her home town of Rotherham, UK, to move to Portugal with her family when she was ten. The Algarve continues to be her home, where she lives with her childhood sweetheart and husband of 15 years, Michael, and their two neurotic dogs and a cat who thinks she's a princess.

1. Why did you want to become a writer?
I've always written - even when I left school I went straight into the publishing industry as a trainee journalist before becoming a features writer. I just love to write. But it's fiction that stole my heart. I guess I should have known that I'd head in this direction all those years ago when I would read book after book after book!

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you?
Probably the editing because I get bored so easily and after re-reading the same book again and again, I find it draining.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing?
Apart from creating whole new worlds, I'd say it's the response and encouragement from readers. I couldn't stop grinning for weeks after getting my first fan mail!

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I first read it for A level English Lit and it blew me away. It's kind of a dystopian drama / romance kind of thing (totally useless at describing genres - lol!) and it's AMAZING.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from calamity, who would you pick and why? 
It would probably be Kate's mum in Forever Fredless. Although we don't see much of her, she's just such a fabulous character - so loving (from afar... she lives in Africa), yet so independent and fun. She's unlike anyone I know.

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do?
Lol. I'd probably spend it with Rebecca Bloomwood because I do love to shop!!

7. What can we expect next from you?
Well, I've already started the next book in The Morgan Sisters (YA) series, which I'm hoping to get out before Christmas. And then I'll be starting my next chick lit novel. I can't wait - I had so much fun writing in this genre!

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out?
Do not take negative reviews to heart. It's so hurtful when you get them and trust me, we all get them. And some of them are simply written in spite. Only listen to constructive criticism - not the negative stuff.

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you.
Up at 7.30 (ish), feed dogs and cats, make banana and strawberry smoothie for breakfast. Sift through emails, deal with Fiction Dreams (a women's fiction blog) and then crack on with writing. If I have a deadline, I'll work until I've reached my daily target, then I'll make lunch and watch a favourite TV show for an hour, then back to the computer for social networking / promotion / blogging, etc.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment?
Dead Dreams by Emma Right. I accidentally agreed to review it (I clicked on the wrong box when organizing to be a part of the book tour!), but it's pretty good actually. There are bits about it that I find a little annoying, but it's very well written. I'd definitely read more by the author.

Thanks, Suzy!

Forever Fredless 


Kate Robinson has spent the past two decades yearning to find her soul mate, the boy she found and then lost during a family holiday.

Shortly after her twenty-eighth birthday, however, she inherits a fortune from an old family friend and becomes something of an overnight celebrity. Can her new-found fame lead her to him after all this time?
 

 Buy on Amazon | Read Suzy's chick lit blog | Visit her website | Follow her on Twitter | Like her on Facebook

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your gorgeous blog, Elle!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - thank you for stopping by! {^_^} xx

      Delete