Writer Wednesday: Elle Field

On today's Writer Wednesday, it's me! Writer Wednesday will be returning next week and will be running throughout November - make sure you visit the blog to see which authors are taking part. You can find out all about me by hitting About Me above but, without further ado, I'm going to get cracking on with the questions. x

PS: If you've already read Geli Voyante's Hot or Not, make sure you leave me a review on Amazon and Goodreads. Tell your friends about the book, too! You can add it to your Goodreads shelf here

1. Why did you want to become a writer?
I've always been a voracious reader who scribbled down stories so I think it was inevitable that I would become a writer, it was just a case of when and what genre! I dabbled in writing children's and YA fiction as a teenager, but it wasn't until I was twenty that I discovered chick lit and found my genre of choice. Although, who knows, maybe I will write a children's novel one day! (I definitely will. And a crime thriller. And something meaty and literary. I will write it all!)

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you?
Knowing when enough editing is enough! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so knowing when to stop is something I really need to work on - I could, even now, quite easily edit Kept and Geli even though they don't need it!

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing?
Creating characters others can identify with but also enjoy - I love creating characters and living their fictional lives for a bit.

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why?
It would be impossible for me to pick out just one, so well done to any of my fellow authors who have managed to narrow it down to just one in my Writer Wednesday feature!

I will pick The Secret Garden though, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which is one of my favourites and a stunning read. I'd love to be able to write something so simple and innocent that manages to magically captivate its reader in the way it does.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, who would you pick and why?
Obélix from Kept as I have a major soft spot for him. He deserves a Felicity, like Arielle has, to sort out his love life and keep him on the straight and narrow... maybe I'll make that happen for him in the sequel to Kept!

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do?
I'd spend the day with Arthur Weasley from the Harry Potter series, and I'd show him the most mundane Muggle things in existence. I imagine it would be his perfect day, though maybe not mine! Is there a museum of lawnmowers and batteries, does anyone know?

7. What can we expect next from you?
The sequel to Kept and a book called The Dirtification of Tabitha-Rose, though Tabitha is a character that had a bit part in Kept so she might be familiar to some people already. I actually started working on Tabitha after Kept - I wrote about 45,000 words - but then Geli's voice nagged me, so I put Tabitha to one side to write Geli Voyante's Hot or Not instead.

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out?
I wish I had been told not to procrastinate as much - I would definitely have published more than two books by now if I had followed that piece of advice! My piece of advice for someone just starting out is to read and write as much as you can. What you write now may not be the first book you publish, but it will help you to make that first book happen, I promise.

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you.
As I still work full-time, I don't have the luxury of a writing day. (One day!) I snatch hours here and there - that could be my lunch break, in the evening, at the weekend, or when I'm on holiday.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment?

I actually have three books on the go. I'm reading Bill Bryson's One Summer: America, 1927, but also Tracy Bloom's Single Woman Seeks Revenge and Ella Craine's An Unlikely Safari Guide. I'm really enjoying all three!

*

"I think I will always be known as the Hot or Not girl, defined by it for the rest of my career. Even my tombstone will read: Angelica “Geli” Voyante, beloved trendsetter. Death? Not Hot

Yet, it doesn’t sound right. Why won’t anyone realise that there is more to me than this fickle persona I have inadvertently become?" 

Geli Voyante is bored of being the Hot or Not girl, even if it has the perk of sitting next to Theo, the newspaper's very Hot political columnist. She's also getting a little lonely being single.

When her arch-nemesis Tiggy Boodles gets engaged, and other loved ones start to settle down, it's time for Geli to convince Theo that she’s not as shallow as her column suggests and, more importantly, she’s the one for him. Geli should remember though that there are always two sides to every story, and that applies to people too...

Buy Geli on Amazon.co.uk | Buy on Amazon.com | Buy on Amazon.ca |
Buy on Amazon.de | Buy on Amazon.fr | Buy on Amazon.it | Buy on Amazon.es

No comments