The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there

I was almost tempted to do a full-on review of 2010, but have decided looking forward is a better idea. After all, as Hartley began his novel The Go-Between, "the past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

That's not to say that I'm completely ignoring 2010. I may not have achieved anything writing-wise, but I moved to London for a role with more responsibility, had three fabbity holidays in Dublin, Crete and Budapest, ate at lots of Michelin star and yummy restaurants, went to Leeds Fest, saw Legally Blonde, Sweet Charity, Oliver! and Sister Act on the West End, read 157 books, went to the cinema 41 times, and I made some fabulous new friends along the way. I had to say goodbye to my beloved car, Sulley, and I still owe money on the credit card but, all-in-all, it's been a pretty sweet year. I know I've been lucky.

But, Hartley is right. Part of life is to learn from your past so you don't repeat your mistakes. 2010 has been a huge learning curve for me and has proved that I'm strong enough to tackle anything, even if at times I felt at the depths of despair. 2010 has been the foundation year, so-to-speak, that will make a lot of things possible in 2011 and I for one am very excited to make those things happen! Here are my plans:
  • I want to find a fabbity new job that challenges me
  • I shall dedicate more time to writing and submitting my books
  • I hope to clear my credit card debt and build up some savings
  • I would like to move more central, hopefully with people I know and like
  • I'd like to visit 2 or 3 new countries
  • I want to take lots of photos with my fabbity new camera, see a few new musicals and tick off some more Michelin star restaurants
  • Finally, I will try not to over-analyse, be indecisive or unhappy, and I will surround myself with people who are worth it. I will remember that I cannot control everything, that nothing is a given, and that in life you make your own happy ending.
I think 2011 sounds like it could be pretty fabbity, don't you? {^_^} What have you learnt from 2010? What are your 2011 plans? xoxo

1 comment

  1. Congrats on everything you accomplished in 2010, despite the struggles, and here's wishing you a wonderful and fulfilling 2011! :-)

    ReplyDelete