The Coca-Cola holiday mystery

The Coca-Cola "Holidays are coming" marks the start of the festive season for a lot of people. The iconic lorries making the delivery of Coke is currently in its 4th year of revival, but when did it begin? I can certainly remember seeing it as a child in the 1990s but I couldn't give you an exact date, such is the nature of childhood memory.

It was tweet asking just this that made me really want to know this answer. Sure, it's not a burning question, but it's one of those questions that will bug me until I get the answer. Getting that answer, you think, would be easy, what with Google knowing the answer to EVERYTHING... or so I thought.

Trawling through the search results, Google drew a blank... I know. It happens, sometimes... so I've heard... But I never thought Google would let *me* down! Not even poking around the Coca-Cola website could tell me, though I did learn that their "Always Coca-Cola" polar bear ad was first aired in 1993. Who cares about the bears! We want our lorries!

So, I did something I rarely do: I picked up the phone, and I dialled the Coca-Cola press office. Yes, such a massive internet search failure deserved this outlandish action... only I was thwarted once again. The lovely girl on the end of the phone informed me that they don't actually know when one of their biggest ad campaigns was first aired. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

So, if Coca-Cola don't know, who does? Luckily, she thought their PR agency, Lexis PR, who deals with the campaign would have the answer:

The original version of the iconic Holidays Are Coming ad first aired in the US on Thanksgiving Day 1995, before being rolled out in the UK that year. The current version first aired in 1997.

There you have it. Many thanks to Mel at Lexis PR for getting back to me. Hopefully now Google will throw up this blog post for all those people who may have this same burning question in the future (seriously, how can this *not* be out there on the interweb?!)

And, if you can't remember the ad, here it is for your enjoyment:

1 comment

  1. Me and my Mum always get really excited about seeing the Coca Cola advert - my Dad even rang me one evening to play me the advert the down the telephone!!

    ReplyDelete