What happened:
I joined the gym, went to the theatre to see Kinky Boots (Johannes Radebe looked like he had such fun), we finally had Olly's dad's celebration of life, I had a mooch around the National Portrait Gallery with a friend, celebrated 15 years of us... and then Olly, out of the blue, ended our relationship a week later and moved out.
So I spent a lot of time with various friends. Ran away to Berlin to try and clear my head. Which just meant that instead of crying at home, I cried in a hotel room, but I did get out and about as well and see some sights. (Blog posts at some point. And yes, I still need to write about Oman, South Korea, Seville and Yorkshire. I will.)
Tried to make the most of August and the last month of summer whilst also trying to survive a never-ending heatwave and what felt like never-ending sadness. Went to the theatre to see Witness for the Prosecution (loved the setting in County Hall) and the aforementioned rearranged Beetlejuice (such good fun; David Fynn was epic). Went to Lightroom for David Bowie: You're Not Alone. My dad came to visit. And I hiked part of the Jurassic coast, from Knoll Beach to Old Harry Rocks, ending at Corfe Castle.
What I ate:
The tasting menu at Mildred's (yum vegan restaurant), dinner at Barang in The Globe on our anniversary (some new Cambodian flavours I've never had before), lunch at Bun House in Chinatown (I preferred the wontons to the buns, though the custard bun was excellent) and the Made in Oldstead breakfast box - basically what we had for my birthday breakfast at The Black Swan back in April (we were missing the eggs but it was nice; better in person at The Black Swan though!).
Then when my appetite went and I only ate half the things but still wanted to see friends: Dinner at Pad Thai Story, lunch at Tacos Mx Kingston (seriously overpriced - there are much better Mexican places for that sort of money), brunch at Sunday in Brooklyn (great eggs), the Get Baked x Edd Kimber chocolate and whipped caramel slice at home, takeaway from Mr Bao in Peckham (the pork belly bao is the best), a chicken katsu curry at Machiya, dinner at Donia (one of my faves from 2024 and still very yum), brunch at Hideaway (chicken and waffles, always), dumplings from Ugly Dumpling, a solo breakfast at Dishoom (always the wrestler's naan) and a BBQ platter at The Grey Horse in Kingston (superb pulled pork). Plus had the Bodean's 4th of July BBQ box at home via Dishpatch.
What I watched:
Finished watching season 1 of The Pitt, watched season 5 of Scrubs, season 5 of For All Mankind, season 2 of Your Friends and Neighbours, season 2 of Hijack, season 2 of The Pitt, season 5 of The Bear, Widow's Bay, season 5 of Clarkson's Farm, Black Bird, Margo's Got Money Troubles, Gary, Presumed Innocent, season 3 of House of the Dragon, Donut King, World War II with Tom Hanks, season 2 of Lioness, season 2 of Your Honor and started watching Love Story.
Films watched: This is Spinal Tap, Louis Theroux My Scientology Movie, Twilight, Berlin I Love You, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Swingers, Now You See Me Now You Don't, Memento, Wild, Asteroid City, The Phoenician Scheme, Last Night in Soho, To Olivia, The French Dispatch, Project Hail Mary, Kinky Boots, Where the Crawdads Sing, Springsteen: Deliver Me From Nowhere, Little Miss Sunshine, Behind the Candelabra and Don't Worry Darling.
What I read:
In June I read 10 books and listened to two audiobooks, both which I rated highly (five stars to London Falling by Patrick Radden Keefe and four stars to The Make-Believe by Hannah Murray). I also gave four stars to Death Comes to Marlow by Robert Thorogood. In July I read five books and listened to three audiobooks. I gave four stars to Wild by Cheryl Strayed (audiobook) and The Elements by John Boyne (which I borrowed from the library; I finally joined!). In August I read 11 books and listened to 3 audiobooks. I gave five stars to the audiobook Careless People by Sarah Wynn-Williams, plus four stars to the audiobooks The Lazarus Heist by Geoff White and Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. And four stars to The Names by Florence Knapp.
Podcast: The World According to Roald Dahl.
Hope you're all faring better than I am. x





No comments