TMTW: June and July 2023

What happened:
A slightly quieter June but we still did quite a few exciting things, and a lot of it was centred around music. I also ended my first round of Invisalign and am now doing seven weeks of refinements, so I'll be finished soon. That's very pleasing. And mum finally came out of hospital. Definitely pleasing! 

My niece visited so we did some touristy stuff, including a walk along the canal from King's Cross to Camden, a quick mooch around Battersea Power Station, a boat tour on the Thames, and a trip to the theatre to see Mrs Doubtfire. Mrs Doubtfire was good fun. Big credit goes to Gabriel Vick, who played Daniel/Mrs Doubtfire as that's quite the role to do live with the costume and character changes. Very impressive. 

Olly and I headed to the Isle of Wight Festival, which was my first time actually staying over at a festival. (I've only done days before.) But, must confess, we glamped instead of camped, which was 100% worth it. To have a proper bed - luxury! My main reason for going was Pulp, who were superb. So, so happy to see them live. Other highlights were Mika, Peter Hook & the Light, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Example, Scouting for Girls and The Vallha. And we also went to Osborne House and Carisbrooke Castle whilst we were on the island. 

Finally in June, we had a BBQ at home with friends, celebrated our 12th anniversary, and went to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane for An Evening with Nick Offerman. Who seems like a very nice man. (And who definitely isn't Ron Swanson!) It's been really good this year not just going to the theatre to see musicals! 

In July we've caught up with quite a few friends at their places, had people stay at ours, I had a work trip to Leeds, and I also did a wider team afternoon where we went and played mini golf. We did a further two gigs: Blur at Wembley, who were excellent, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Who were also great. Plus I secured Taylor Swift tickets for next year - hurrah!

We headed to the theatre for Accidental Death of an Anarchist, which was very intense! But definitely had a thought-provoking message. And then at the end the month, I tested positive for COVID. Noooooooooo! It's weird, I now think my COVID tell is that as well as feeling grotty, I have a weird hip and leg shooting muscle pain in the night. Had the same thing last July and, again, in March 2020 when I probably had COVID but couldn't test. Olly, somehow, has still never had it! 

What I ate:
The rather yum taco sharer at Carne Street Food in Canopy Market, an epic ice cream from Hans & Gretel at Camden Market, glorious NYC pizza slices from Bad Boy Pizza Society (pictured below) and a decent curry from Curry on Naanstop (last two both Seven Dials Market).

We had an alternative kind of Sunday roast at Coal Office after our original booking was cancelled elsewhere - a Jerusalem Sunday roast - and a Michelin star Sunday roast at Kitchen W8 for our anniversary. We also went to The Palomar for some more yum Jerusalem food (a few dishes pictured below), and I ate at Hoist House in Leeds. 

   
On the Isle of Wight, Meat Head gets a massive shout-out. We had their insanely good Mexican Birria tacos, pictured below, twice because they were so delicious. They're also in Camden Market and definitely have the edge on the aforementioned Carne Street Food tacos, for sure. We also went to the Garlic Farm, which is always a must-eat place. 

In July we had pub grub at The Harrow. I was in Leeds again and headed back to Hoist House, I had takeaway Pho in my hotel (where they didn't send any cutlery so that was interesting!), and had a nice Indian lunch at Delhi Wala Food. I'm obsessed with samosa chaat at the moment and order it every time I see it on a menu!

    
Back in London we had the epic sharing roast at The Brewhouse at The Antelope - which was very generous - and returned to Din Tai Fung, though that wasn't as yum as when we went last year. Finally, we did the Scandinavian tasting menu at Ekstedt at the Yard, which was incredible. And different enough from when we went to Ekstedt in Stockholm for my birthday dinner in April. Cheaper, too! But it is less courses, though the menu did include both lobster and wagyu beef. Two pictures above are from there.

What I watched:
TV shows: Finished season 3 of Mythic Quest and season 1 of The Reluctant Traveller, then watched season 3 of Ted Lasso, season 1 of Silo, season 3 of The Mandalorian, season 1 of Poker Face, plus started watching Secret Invasion. Movies watched: Air and Avatar: The Way of Water. 

What I read: 
In June I read 13 books. Slough House and Bad Actors by Mick Herron were both 4* reads, as well as This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay and Word Perfect by Susie Dent. 

In July I also read 13 books. I gave 4*s to Broken Ground by Val McDermid, Summer Wedding by Sarah Morgan and The End of Men by Christina Sweeney-Baird. 

How's it going? x

No comments