The month that was: June and July 2020

What happened:
The bike saga continued. Second order: bike never existed. Third order: cancelled. But I made a fourth order alongside the third - hedging my bets - and I finally picked up a bike towards the end of June. Happy days! We've been on a ride along the river to Barnes Bridge, pausing by the duck pond to have a picnic, and a ride along the river to Battersea Park.

We didn't make it to Ireland on holiday (obviously), but we did still celebrate our anniversary in London (hurrah!). I've seen a few friends, a few times, for either socially-distanced drinks or BBQs, and we headed to Kent on two separate weekends for family birthday BBQs. We also made a trip to Hertfordshire for dinner with friends (Hawksmoor at Home box FTW).

Thames cycle path, London
I had to use up some annual leave up with how my work's holiday calendar allowance works, and I also took a few days off at the end of July as I was poorly (hideous sore throat and sinusitis). Speaking of work, we did a fun virtual escape room - and I could actually do it! (I did one in real life last year with my old work and was USELESS.) That's about it really for June and July - let's see what August brings!

What I ate:
More pasta from Nonna Tonda and  two Pizza in the Post kits from Pizza Pilgrims (absolutely amazing - the best pizza I've had this year). Takeaway from: Franco Manca (ruined by having Pizza in the Post a few days before!), McDonalds x2 (sorry, not sorry), The Athenian, Honest Burger, Butchies and Domino's (I've really gone off Domino's this year).
   
      
Bought The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, Momofuku Milk Bar, LA Son, and also Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book - because we got the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment. We've made pistachio ice cream and maple syrup ice cream, the latter from the Ben & Jerry's book. From Momofuku Milk Bar I've made bagel bombs (above left) and the cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow cookies - both incredible - and I also made Paris cookies from Midnight Chicken (above right). We've made more waffles and also made scones using the recipe from Buckingham Palace (so good!). Olly also baked the Brooklyn blackout cake from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (delicious). 
   
   
Finally, we headed out for dinner to Santo Remedio, our first time in a restaurant since mid-March - we got to also use our first Time Out Eat List Picks card. It was AMAZING to eat out, felt like such a treat. We've eaten at Santo Remedio a few times time before and, as always, their soft shell crab tacos are the best (not pictured; above left is their chicken pibil tacos, which sadly aren't as yummy as pork pibil tacos). Their churros, pictured above right with cinnamon ice cream tacos, are also worth ordering.

What I watched:
TV-wise: finished season 2 of Altered Carbon (dire), watched Jeffery Epstein: Filthy Rich (awful, awful man), seasons 7-14 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, McMillions, Space Force, seasons 1 and 2 of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, Watchmen (superb, clever storytelling), Down to Earth with Zac Efron (super enjoyable), season 2 of The Politician, some more episodes of Chef's Table, Hillary, plus started watching Community.

Films: Into the Woods, Maleficent, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, The Wrong Missy, Mallrats, Artemis Fowl, The Hangover, The Hangover Part II, The Hangover Part III, The Rock, Wedding Crashers, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Vacation, Desperados, Inception, Wild, Failure to Launch, The Hunger Games, Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Ocean's Eight, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2, Finding Nemo, Ready Player One and Charlie's Angels (2019).

Theatre: The Wiz Live! and Hamilton.

What I read:
In June I read 13 books and abandoned reading one book. I finally read the final book in The Oremere Chronicles (after rereading the first two), which I rated as 5* on Goodreads. I also rated A Bit of a Stretch: The Diaries of a Prisoner by Chris Atkins as 5*. It was a great month for reading for me: Family for Beginners by Sarah Morgan, My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal, In Five Years by Rebecca Serle and No Further Questions by Gillian McAllister were all 4* reads.

In July I read nine books and abandoned reading one book. I rated The One by John Marrs as 5* and The Circle by Dave Eggers, Fatal Promise by Angela Marsons, Dead Memories by Angela Marsons and Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams, all as 4* reads.

How are you keeping? x

No comments