The month that was: April and May 2019

What happened:
In April my family visited which meant a trip to the Science Museum and a mooch around Hyde Park, we headed to Kent for Easter, and had a week off work for a London staycation which also included birthday celebrations. Staycation/birthday activities included: Queens for a game of bowling and ice skating, watching Avengers: Endgame (see below), and Waitress on the West End (good fun and super pleased to see Katharine McPhee as Jenna as we loved her in Smash).

In May we did the Bermondsey Beer Mile with friends, had family over for a Sunday roast, headed to Camden for drinks in the sunshine and to use up our final Time Out Burger Box card (see below), and I started training to run 5k as I have a colour run at the end of June... I hate running! I also bought my first Beauty Pie products - I can't wait to try them.

What I ate:
Awesome April food shout-outs: an excellent kastu curry from Thousand Knives (Wasabi, you've got competition!), Pizza Pilgrims's epic ndjua pizza, a veni-moo burger from Mac and Wild (they also do an awesome venison scotch egg) and birthday burgers at Bar Boulud (I also had the zingiest calamari starter served with the freshest guacamole which deserves a shout-out).

May food shout-outs: Carcass for a salt marsh lamb burger, pancakes from The Breakfast Club, tacos from Santo Remidio (delicious, though they charge £6 for tortillas and guacamole which is outrageous given the tiny portion size... just saying!! Soft shell crab tacos from there, pictured above) and, as mentioned above, burgers from Tongue 'N Cheek (tasty, but not the best burger place out of the box).

What I watched:
Films watched in April: Iron Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Unicorn Store, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, The Princess Bride, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man, Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War and The Perfect Date. At the cinema: Dumbo (pretty average), Mid90s (didn't like it at all) and Avengers: Endgame (what a roller coaster!).

Films watched in May: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile, Waitress, John Wick, John Wick: Chapter 2, Wine Country, Snow White and the Huntsman, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! and We're the Millers. At the cinema: Avengers: Endgame (again!!), Long Shot (enjoyable comedy), John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (so violent!), Rocketman (Taron Egerton was phenomenal), Aladdin (good fun), Booksmart (great teenage comedy) and Godzilla: King of the Monsters (awful).

TV-wise: The Case Against Adnan Syed (interesting but it's not the podcast level of excellent), Fleabag (fabulously funny), season four of Billions, the final season of Game of Thrones (a disappointing end), The Umbrella Academy (got better towards the end; brilliant soundtrack), season three of Santa Clarita Diet (not as sharp as season two), dipped in and out of Street Food, and watched a fair few documentaries.

What I read:
In April I read 16 books. My favourite reads of the month (all rated 4* by me) were: 50 Shades Of The USA by Anna McNuff, The Promise by Theresa Driscoll, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and The Summer of Chasing Dreams by Holly Martin.

In May I also read 16 books, finally finished listening to Michelle Obama's Becoming (loved it, though I think there was a bit too much focus on Barack at times), and I started listening to Robert Galbraith's Lethal White (loving it, so-much-so that I've nearly finished it). I had two 5* reads this month, Heart of Mist and Reign of Mist by Helen Scheuerer, the first two books in The Oremere Chronicles - I can't wait for the third book!

What are you looking forward to doing this summer? x

No comments