The month that was: July and August 2018

What happened:
In July I headed to Formby Hall for a hen do (which involved a fascinator making workshop, an afternoon in the spa where I had an excellent ESPA massage, followed by dinner and cocktails), our new nephew joined the world so we headed to Kent to meet him (hi Orson Pax), and we visited my family in Yorkshire (for a lazy weekend, which included a BBQ, board games and pedalo fun).

In August we went to the theatre to watch 42nd Street (old school) and Hamilton (amazing - I'm still trying to work out if it ranks as my third favourite West End musical or my fourth). We attended a fab and fun wedding in Surrey, for the aforementioned hen do, and had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend entertaining at home - which also included a quick trip to the Tate Modern. I've not been there in years... yet this year I've visited three times!


What I ate:
At KERB at the Gherkin I ate at: Bill or Beak (pictured below; amazing flavours), Only Jerkin' (ate that twice; delicious as always), The Grilling Greek (nice enough souvlaki) and Da Ja Chicken (yum flavours). I had katsu curry at The Japanese Canteen (tasty, but why on earth did they include mushrooms in it?), steak at Flat Iron (always delicious), a six-course tasting menu at Cinnamon Kitchen (yummy Indian food but poor service) and used the second card from Time Out's Burger Box with a visit to Bleecker (the burger had good flavour, it's awesome they do mixed sweet potato and normal fries, and I was a big fan of their Oreo milkshake).


What I saw:
Films watched in July: Victoria & Abdul, Set It Up, Geostorm, Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2, The Incredibles, Mission: Impossible 2, Mission: Impossible, Mission: Impossible 3, Call Me by Your Name, Thor Ragnarok, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation and Mamma Mia! 

Films watched in August: Avengers: Infinity War, Pacific Rim, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Ready Player One, Ideal Home, Happy Death Day, Ingrid Goes West and Les Miserables.

At the cinema in July: Skyscraper (your usual OTT but still great Dwayne Johnson movie), Incredibles 2 (good fun, though The Incredibles is better), Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (cheesy fun) and Mission: Impossible - Fallout (why didn't they just run across the Millennium Bridge?!). At the cinema in August: Ant-Man & the Wasp (funny but I preferred the first one), Christopher Robin (loved the Pooh-isms, but the plot was a strange one) and The Spy Who Dumped Me (average).

TV-wise, we started watching the second season of GLOW... and have yet to finish it. Maybe next month we'll get our TV mojo back on because it has been severely lacking.

What I read: 
In July I read a mere three books: Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland and A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara were both 4* reads for me.

August was better! I read 16 books and finished one audiobook. Hurrah! My favourites included: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (a rare 5* read), This Could Change Everything by Jill Mansell (4*), How to Keep a Secret  by Sarah Morgan (4*), A Merciful Silence by Kendra Elliot (4*) and A Life in Parts by Bryan Cranston (4* audiobook).

How's your summer been? x

No comments