The month that was: June 2018

What happened:
I have a feeling my months are going to get a little bit repetitive - sorry! - but such is the downside to saving money and, therefore, living a quieter life. The highlight of June was celebrating our anniversary, which nicely tied in with a trip to Ireland and some super sunny weather.

More on Ireland later, but we visited friends in Skerries - and, embarrassingly, got sunburnt in Ireland, when it was a mere 18°C - then headed to Dublin for a few days to enjoy the sights, see Franz Ferdinand and The Killers play, plus go to a whiskey tasting at Teeling Whiskey Distillery. More on all of this soon!

When we were back in London, we had a mooch around Kingston upon Thames, and enjoyed a few drinks by the river. Is there anything nicer? I briefly freelanced in Kingston the other year, but never got to have a good mooch around, so it was nice to visit the town not to merely go to an office!


What I ate:
Oomph, a lot! We went to Arlo's for a steak brunch (yummy steak, as always), had an anniversary dinner at Meat Up (tasty, but we felt a little rushed... until it came to paying and then we were waiting around; mains pictured below), and used the first of our Time Out Burger Box cards by visiting Up in my Grill at Dinerama (delicious steak).

At lunchtime I made the most of KERB at the Gherkin - Thursday lunchtimes FTW - and tried Da Ja Chicken (nice spice; pictured below), Dosa Deli (I'm a fan!), Salt Shed (I was disappointed they'd sold out of their steak and chips, so the brisket I had was just nice enough, but didn't wow me as it wasn't what I wanted) and Only Jerkin' (beautiful batter on their chicken). I also headed back to Farmer J; this time round I tried their turkey meatballs which were full of flavour.

In Ireland we had lunch at Umi Falafel (fab if you're a falafel lover), dinner at Red Torch Ginger (great Thai food, and if you sign up to their mailing list, you get a free round of cocktails), brunch at San Lorenzos (far too much food, as you can see from the photo below), dinner at Bison Bar (fab ribs, but I thought the brisket was better at Pitt Bros in Dublin, based on my experience from last time) and brunch at Eddie Rocket's (pancakes FTW).


What I watched:
TV-wise we watched season three of Billions, finished off My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman, and started watching season two of Westworld. Films watched: Wilson, Moulin Rouge, Dinner for Schmucks, The Circle, Ocean's Eleven and Ocean's Twelve. At the cinema: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (I have no idea why they made this movie), Ocean's Eight (good fun) and Tag (amusing in parts).

What I read:
In June, I read a mere five books(!), three of which I rated 4*: Our House by Louise Candlish, The Image of You by Adele Parks, and The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer.

How was your month? x

No comments