The month that was: January 2018

What happened:
We started the New Year in Kent, and have slowly been adjusting to the post-Cuba/Christmas bubble we've been in since late November. I went to the theatre to see School of Rock for the first time (good fun), and The Phantom of the Opera for the second time (wonderful). I've caught up with friends, including my best friend and her husband visiting from Italy, and also celebrated family birthdays - overall though, it's been a quiet month!


What I ate:
Burgers from Byron twice, and Italian food at Sartori (after we were told Flat Iron had a three-hour queue; why isn't London over this annoying trend where you can't book tables?!). I've been cooking lots of new recipes this month after borrowing some lovely new cookbooks from the library - I highly recommend Made in India if you're a fan of Indian food (obviously), and River Cottage Much More Veg if you're after cutting back on your meat intake. I've since bought both books, so you know they're good ones!

What I watched:
We continued watching The Grand Tour, watched season 3 of How to Get Away with Murder, and finished off Designated Survivor. We also started watching season 3 of Black Mirror (and watched season 2's Christmas special, which we missed when it first aired).

Films watched: Bedtime Stories, Spectre, Old School, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Jumanji, A United Kingdom, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions, Get Him to the Greek, Loser, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers Assemble and Iron Man 3.

At the cinema we saw The Greatest Showman (marvellously magical with a fabulous soundtrack that I can't stop listening to), Downsizing (bizarre), Darkest Hour (Gary Oldman is amazing as Winston Churchill), Coco (wonderful and sad, all at the same time), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (superb) and The Post (insightful).

What I read:
In January I read 17 books, and abandoned reading four books. My top books of January (4* reads) included Origin by Dan Brown, The Christmas Secret by Karen Swan, Moonlight over Manhattan by Sarah Morgan, La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman, Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell and This Beautiful Life by Katie Marsh.

How was your start to 2018? x

No comments