Writer Wednesday: Victoria Walters

Victoria Walters has always loved creating stories. Her first book was handwritten when she was sixteen years old, and was closely modelled on the Sweet Valley High series. Victoria studied sociology at Warwick University and has since worked for a business publisher and as a Waterstones bookseller. She lives in Surrey with her cat Harry (named after Harry Potter, not Harry Styles).

You can discover more about Victoria – and find pictures of Harry the cat – by following her on Twitter at @Vicky_Walters, or by visiting her blog.

1. Why did you want to become a writer?
It definitely came from growing up as a bookworm and probably because I was an only child, I relied on my imagination so much and was always making up stories. I'm not even sure I 'became' one, I feel like I always was one. It just took a long time to get published!

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you?
I think editing. I'm still learning how to edit my own work. It's a challenge to look at your writing critically but constructively I think. It really helps having an agent and editor to guide me.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing?
The first draft for me! I like just writing out the story without editing. It's when I feel most creative I think.

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book so I have to pick that. I think it's wonderfully written, full of wit and with such well drawn characters and of course the romance is just perfect.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, which would you pick and why? 
Ooh ... I think Rose, the main character in The Second Love Of My Life, I love her and she's been through so much already that I would save her!

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do?
I think I'd spend it with Harry Potter so I could learn magic and live in Hogwarts for the day.

7. What can we expect next from you?
I have written my next book but it's still all under wraps! Fingers crossed I can reveal more soon.

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out? 
I just think it's about keeping going. There were so many moments I wanted to give up so I wish I could pop back and tell myself it would work out in the end! So my advice is always 'don't give up'!!

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you.
I try not to make myself write a certain number of words a day, I prefer to write when I'm in the mood and I either sit at my dining room table or in an armchair and usually my cat is sitting with me. I have to listen to music, I can't write in silence and I get really cold when I write so am usually wrapped in a blanket.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment?
I have just started Eat, Pray, Love. I recently loved Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic so I'm finally getting around to reading it.

*

In the Cornish town of Talting, everyone is famous for something. 

Until recently Rose was known for many things: her infectious positivity; her unique artistic talent; and her devotion to childhood sweetheart Lucas.

But two years ago that changed in one unthinkable moment. Now, Rose is known for being the young woman who became a widow aged just twenty-four.

Though Rose knows that life must go on, the thought of carving out a new future for herself is one she can barely entertain. Until a newcomer, Robert, arrives in Talting for the summer...

Can Rose allow herself the chance to love again? 

Get lost in Victoria Walters' immensely touching début novel, and discover a world that will capture your imagination and heart.

Follow Victoria on Twitter | Buy The Second Love of My Life on Amazon
Visit her website

No comments