Writer Wednesday: Dorota Skrzypek

Dorota Skrzypek was born in Poland, grew-up in Canada, and moved to Southern California in 1997. After many years of flying airplanes, designing airports, and exploring the world, she decided to focus on writing fiction.

1. Why did you want to become a writer? 
 The more caught up I got in my aviation career, the more I realized I wasn't satisfying the creative side of myself. In 2004 I decided to work with an artistic from Montreal on a graphic novel. It was a tough, but exhilarating experience that inspired me to write more.

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you? 
 The first draft is always the most challenging for me because it is that first explosion of raw ideas that sometimes come easily and sometimes not. Even with a good outline, filling in the blanks can be a frustrating experience.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing? 
Seeing the final product, after all the crafting and all the rounds of editing, gives me the greatest satisfaction.

 4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Fifty Shades of Grey hit this sweet spot that made it salacious enough for people to talk about and mainstream enough to be a commercial success. Regardless of what you personally think of the book, you have to admire what that author created. I think that is what most authors wish for; I know I do.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, who would you pick and why? 
In the fourth, and last book of the Sex, Life, & Hannah series I hope to save Hannah from her dating misadventures. She's so like me and a lot of the women I know that I feel like I have to end the series with a ray of hope for all of us searching for love.

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do? 
I'd love to spend the day with Henry Chinaski; drinking, smoking, and seeing if he really has the brutish charm to get me into bed with him.

7. What can we expect next from you? 
I'm currently working on an erotic thriller called The Need. Look for that on Amazon later this year.

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out? 
I started writing during the awkward transition from traditional publishing and printing books to self-publishing and ebooks. As a result I learned a lot of hard lessons and suffered unnecessary financial losses. The advice I give to all aspiring authors now is: Invest in your writing, an editor, and a designer. If you're tired of getting rejection letters, put your professionally edited and designed book up on Kindle and see what happens.

 9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you. 
Ideally I like to block out a three-hour window every day to devote to writing. This doesn't always work out, but I keep it as a goal because the only way to finish any writing project is to do it every day. Once you stop the rhythm, it's hard to get it back.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment? 
I just finished Bared to You by Sylvia Day. It's very much like Fifty Shades of Grey, and I've given myself the homework of reading more commercially successful books so that I can better understand what resonates with today's audiences.

Thanks, Dorota!

About Sex, Life, & Hannah (Volume 3)

Forget about lazy days this summer, as Hannah gets caught between two lovers, Ireland gets caught in a threesome, and Hannah’s sister’s antics finally catch up to Jack. Difficult decisions lie ahead for this L.A. motley crew and while some will turn to the familiar, and others will run to the dark side, no one will quite approve of Hannah getting engaged.

Buy on Amazon | Follow Dorota on Twitter | Like her on Facebook

1 comment