Teriyaki chicken stir fry

I'm a big fan of Wagamama, but never seem to order anything except their chicken katsu curry, so when I spotted The Wagamama Cookbook on the bookshelf yesterday, I thought I'd give something else a try. I give you, the teriyaki chicken stir fry!

First up, you need to marinate your chicken for about 3 hours, though the longer the better, so grab enough chicken fillet and slice it into bite-size chunks. The recipe says about 250g for 2 people, but we did more. Add the chicken to a bowl and add 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce, 1 prepared red chili and 1 teaspoon of garlic paste. Make sure you get the chicken fully coated in the sauce and chili pieces - give it a good mix with your hands - then cover up the bowl and pop it in the fridge until it's time to cook.

You can also prep your veggies at this point so you're all ready to go when your meat is marinated enough. You need 110g of beansprouts, 1/2 red onion in thick slices, 75g of pak choi, halved, and 1/2 red pepper cut into strips. I'd say 1/2 red pepper is a lot for this recipe but it's personal choice - I'd use 1/4 of a red pepper instead. I'd also recommend adding in some more red chili if you like your food to have a bit more punch - I definitely do! You can also prepare your spring onions at this point to garnish - finely slice one spring onion.

Once your meat is marinaded and it's time to cook, prepare your rice first. We used basmati rice, which we boiled until cooked, then drained and rested it until it was time to serve up the stir fry. Once you are at that point, pour boiling hot water over the colander to warm and remove the starch, and then plate up.

Heat a wok up, without oil, until it's almost smoking, and then add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Make sure you don't get splashed! Add the meat and marinade to the wok and stir fry for about 6 minutes until the chicken is cooked.

Add your beansprouts, red onion, red pepper and pak choi and stir fry for another few minutes.

Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar, then serve over the rice, adding the spring onions on top. Voila! We enjoyed it with a nice bottle of Veuve Clicquot and an episode, or two(!), of 24 - a perfect Saturday evening. {^_^}

2 comments

  1. You and Olly are just too adorable with your cooking together... ;-) next time i'm in london you MUST bring him along! I'm a chicken katsu person myself in wagamama, not sure i could get on board with this other recipe (and can't believe they don't have the katsu recipe in there) but i may try it one day.

    Have you checked out my giveaway by the way?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I know, I know... And yes, next time you are down I shall make him meet you. You could always come round for one of our yummy meals! ;)

    I'm appalled they don't have the katsu recipe, too. Or, maybe they had one, but it was a beef one and not the yummy chicken katsu. Boooooo!

    I shall look at your giveaway tonight - need to cacth up with my reader! x

    ReplyDelete