Writer Wednesday: Jenny Hale

1. Why did you want to become a writer? 
I’ve always been an avid reader and a storyteller. It only occurred to me in adulthood to write fiction. It was something I was driven to do. I remember the very moment I opened my laptop for the first time and decided to write. I’ve never looked back.  

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you?
Writing conflict. I have to really stretch to do it, and it doesn’t come naturally. (Although, I love every part of the process - even the tough parts.)  

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing?
Any part where I get to collaborate with the publishing team - getting the revision letter and seeing my words through someone else’s eyes, the cover art, even the blurb on the back of the book. Writing is a very solitary process so getting to talk to experts in the business is really enjoyable for me.  

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why?
None of them! Part of my delight in reading is seeing how someone else tells the story. If I told it, it would be totally different. Each book that I read is the author’s story to tell, and watching the magic of how they tell it is what I love.

 5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, which would you pick and why?
I think I’d save Libby in Love Me for Me. I’d tell her never to move to New York, no matter how good it seems. It isn’t right for her.  

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do?
Elizabeth Bennett. I’d probably just sit and chat with her about her family, or we could read together under a tree or something. I’d love to hear her opinions on things - she’s so endearing.  

7. What can we expect next from you?
Summer by the Sea is my next novel! It’s set to be released this summer!  

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out?
I wouldn’t have ended up where I had if I’d changed a single move in my career, so I’m glad I didn’t have any advice to go on. I found my way on my own, and I ended up right where I was supposed to be. So, my advice is just to trust your instincts. If it feels right, it probably is, and if it doesn’t, move on.  

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves:
I am a full-time elementary school teacher and a mother of two young boys, so my writing happens at night and on weekends. I hate to admit this, but I have no set writing time. Instead, I set a certain number of words for each day. Then, it’s a mad scramble to get those words. Every day is different.  

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment?
I’m reading Tied Up with Love by Amelia Thorne and loving it!

Follow Jenny on Twitter | Buy her books on Amazon | Visit her website |

No comments