Shakespeare's Globe exhibition and tour

There's the expectation that you're supposed to revere William Shakespeare, *especially* if you happen to be British and a writer, which I am. Here's the thing though, I don't. He may be considered the greatest writer in the English language but, largely, I'm not a fan. There are some sonnets of his that I enjoy, and I have a fondness of Romeo and Juliet, but the Bard is not my cup of tea. I'm certain I can't be the only one who isn't a devotee!

Despite this though, I do recognise and appreciate the importance of William Shakespeare. I know that there are many phrases I use of his on a day-to-day basis, and also in my writing. We have Shakespeare to thank for: budge an inch, green-eyed jealousy, slept not one wink, hoodwinked, eyesore, laughing stock, good riddance, seen better days, blinking idiot, the game is up, and many more words and phrases.

Earlier this month, I paid a visit to Bankside, to visit Shakespeare's Globe and take the exhibition and tour. Tours last around 30 minutes, and they focus more on the Globe than the man himself.

Still, it was interesting to learn about Sam Wanamaker - yes, father of Zoë - who made Shakespeare's Globe happen, plus learn the history of the previous theatres that were near this spot. (One burnt down when its thatched roof caught on fire because of an ambitious stage prop, a working cannon fired during a performance of Henry VII; the replacement theatre was demolished under Puritan rule.)

This Globe opened in 1997, sadly four years after Sam's death, and it's not just tours that take place there. You can also buy tickets to watch theatre performances at the Globe, as well as performances at the new Sam Wanamaker Playhouse.

Now tell me, truthfully, are you a fan of the Bard?

Shakespeare's Globe, Bankside, SE1 9DT
Tickets for the exhibition and tour cost £13.50 for adults, and tours run every 30 minutes. We bought tickets using the National Rail 2for1 offer.

No comments