Writer Wednesday: Linn B Halton

Writer Wednesday author interview - Elle Field
Linn writes chick lit, cosy mystery/romances, romcoms and women’s contemporary fiction – written from the heart, for the heart. Bristol-born Linn, lives in the Forest of Dean in the UK with her lovely husband and Bengal cat, Ziggy.

"I'm a hopeless romantic, self-confessed chocaholic and lover of strong coffee. For me, life is all about family, friends and writing.

Most weekends I can be found either in the garden weeding, or with a paint brush in my hand - house renovation and upcycling furniture is another passion of mine! Oh, and I do enjoy the occasional glass of White Grenache..."

Linn's novels have been short-listed in the UK's Festival of Romance and the eFestival of Words Book Awards. Linn won the 2013 UK Festival of Romance: Innovation in Romantic Fiction award.

An Amazon UK Top 100 best-selling author with A Cottage in the Country in November 2015, Under the Stars also became a best-seller in November 2016 and A Little Sugar, A Lot of Love in January 2017. Linn is published by Harper Impulse, Choc Lit and Endeavour Press.

Writer Wednesday author interview with Linn B Halton
1. Why did you want to become a writer?
Because my head has always been full of stories and I’m an incurable romantic. I wanted to write books that give the reader that feel-good factor. Ever since the age of eleven, whenever I’m doing something that doesn’t involve much brain power, in my head I’m writing a story. Whether that’s while I’m doing the housework, exercising, painting a wall – whatever. And occasionally when my husband thinks I’m listening to him... but that’s just our little secret!

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you?
Proof checking for punctuation marks and typos.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing?
All of it. The thrill of beginning a new story and seeing where it will take me, right through to the editing that helps to make it the best it can be.

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why?
Any of the Angelique series by Anne Golon (pen name Sergeanne Golon). She died recently but her books will live on forever. History and romance at its very best!

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, which would you pick and why?
Without giving away spoilers there is a character in my latest book, The Secrets of Villa Rosso, who probably deserves to have an entire novel written about him. He’s only a part of the story and he has a rough time, so while it’s not possible to ‘save’ him as such, I would like to make him the lead character and tell his life story!

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite literary character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do?
Sherlock Holmes – but in the guise of Benedict Cumberbatch. I love the twists and turns within each plot and I’d love to be a part of stringing together the clues. However, I was once invited along on location to watch a night scene being recorded for a film, many years ago. They did so many takes I think we all knew the lines that night! So, I’d have to slip between the pages to get that ‘real life’ experience and take Benedict with me!

7. What can we expect next from you?
My second book out this year is Christmas at Bay Tree Cottage with Harper Impulse and that’s available for pre-order now. It’s a very heart-warming story that might just bring a tear or two to the reader’s eye. Next year I hope to have four books out in total, so it’s going to be a busy year!

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out?
I wish I’d realised how quickly a writer evolves and how much the editing process improves your writing. I began by writing five manuscripts back-to-back before I jumped on the internet to find out what to do next. I soon learnt that writing the manuscript was the easy part and the real work comes afterwards. My advice to someone starting out would be not to worry about the results, but focus on working hard and take on board every lesson you learn as you go along. Develop your own style and understand that you will be required to wear many hats – writer, editor, marketing manager... and being organised is key to the whole process.

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you.
I don’t really have a typical day as it changes according to what I’m doing. Often if I’m editing I will work through the night and then cat nap the next day in between working. I prefer not to break off unless it’s unavoidable, so it’s meal breaks and sleep only. If I’m writing then I wake at six a.m. or earlier and write until late morning. Then I jump online to look at social media and sort admin jobs e.g. planning for book launches, writing posts, maintaining my website etc. If it’s a heavy day then I might not get back to writing until after we’ve had our evening meal and then I’ll work as late as I can. I don’t work Tuesdays as I babysit, but if we don’t have family commitments at the weekend or anything social planned, then I tend to work as normal. Writing is my life because it’s my guilty pleasure and as I’ve only been writing since 2009 I feel I have a lot of catching up to do!

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment?
With two books out this year and four next year, the only thing I’m reading at the moment is my own manuscripts ha! Ha! This year, though, so far I’ve read The New Beginnings Coffee Club by Samantha Tonge and Evie’s Year of Taking Chances by Christie Barlow – both were awesome reads that I would totally recommend.

*

Writer Wednesday author interview with Linn B Halton
Some places stay with you forever…

When Ellie Maddison is sent on a business trip to Southern Italy, she's reminded why she loves her job – set amongst rolling vineyards and rich olive groves, the beautiful Villa Rosso is the perfect escape from her life back home. But what Ellie isn't prepared for is the instant connection she feels to the estate's director Max Johnson, or the secrets they share that are as intertwined as the rambling vines that cover Villa Rosso.

It's not long before Ellie finds herself entangled in the history of the place, trying to understand the undeniable effect Max is having on her. As their relationship grows, what will Ellie discover about this idyllic villa and those who have walked through its doors?

What started as a simple work trip will change Ellie's life forever.

Follow Linn on Twitter | Buy The Secrets of Villa Rosso on Amazon |
Like her on Facebook | Visit her website

1 comment

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me over today, Elle - it's been a real pleasure visiting. Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete