ABQ London: Breaking Bad pop-up review

A few Saturdays ago, we headed to East London with some friends bitches for ABQ London's Breaking Bad pop-up. This is the sort of thing I thought would be fun to do for my birthday but then, y'know, I went to Belgium and to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child instead. (Which reminds me, I still need to reread the script of that.)

     
Anyway, taking place in an RV - of course! - near Bethnal Green Tube station, this would definitely be a fun thing to do for a birthday or a night out with friends. (Though only if you're a fan of Breaking Bad. If you've never seen the show, none of this will make sense and you'll likely have zero inclination to want to cook up some cocktails in a RV.)

Costing £30 per person, that gets you two hours in the RV, a welcome drink and the chance to make two cocktails from their menu. Plus they supply you with a yellow boiler suit so you can get in character. (Let's face it, the yellow boiler suits are what make it.) If there's time, you can also pay for more cocktails. Which we did. And some shots.

At a tenner per cocktail - pretty standard and, dare I say it, cheap for London - this make this so much better than a cocktail you'd order in a bar. I mean, I went for the Walter Jr. Breakfast as one of my choices (see above), and it involved dry ice and Rice Krispies, which you definitely don't get down at your local. Nor will you find cocktails with such monikers as "I fucked Ted" and "Sparky Pete".

The only negative thing I would say about the experience is that the confirmation email told us to chill outside until someone got us, which was reinforced by a sign on the door of the RV telling people not to knock. (After all, Heisenberg is the one who knocks.)

Twenty-five minutes into our slot time (you only get two hours, remember), we ended up knocking to see what was going on. Luckily, we were allowed to stay a little bit longer to make up for that lost time, but it wasn't the ideal start to our evening. If you go and you find you've been waiting longer than five minutes, knock!!

But, that was the only gripe I had. Everything else about the evening was super fun, and the time flew by. If you're a fan of the show and enjoy a cocktail or two, I'd highly recommend it.

*

ABQ London, 455 Hackney Rd, London E2 9DY
Open Wednesday - Sunday, from 5.30pm. Book here.

No comments