The month that was: December


What happened:
December is all about the run up to Christmas, of course, and then reflecting on the year that has just passed. Keeping me feeling festive each morning was my You Beauty Advent calendar. Each day I had a lovely beauty product to open - a far better treat than chocolate!


We headed to the pub in Brixton where we've bought our Christmas tree from for the past two years and walked away with a beautiful real seven foot tree that we decorated in a silver, purple and teal colour scheme, interspersed with the tree decorations from my childhood.

I took part in a few Christmas book blogger celebrations in December. I talked about Christmas decorations, shared a Christmas memory from 1999, answered some Christmas movie questions and revealed what I wanted for Christmas - make sure you have a read of those if you haven't already!


For Christmas itself we went to Kent, along with Compost Cat, and celebrated with Olly's family. I got lots of lovely little presents, but my best present was a Louis Vuitton purse from Olly. Arielle would approve! We also got the Sonos Play:5 as a joint present - we've been very lucky.


When we got back to London we headed to Somerset House to go ice skating. I had a lot of fun on the ice, even though I'm not very good! It's only the third time I've ever been ice skating in my life and I managed to stay upright for the first forty minutes on the ice... and then I fell over. Doh!


As for New Year's Eve, we headed back to Kent to celebrate at Olly's sister's house. This involved playing Ring of Fire, Cards Against Humanity, beer pong and toasting in the New Year with champagne.

What I ate:
I tried Egg Break for the first time, where I had the most awesome hash browns (bottom left) with their pork belly and fennel sausage burger. (And an egg, of course.) I went back to Taqueria, where I tried their carnitas tacos this time (bottom right), and also ate at Wahaca.


We wanted to go to Dishoom but the queue was too ridiculous so we ended up eating at Bill's. Bill's is nice enough, but I prefer their brunch offering to dinner there. In Kent we ate at Turmeric Gold - it's an Indian restaurant in Tudeley - and then had pizza at Franco Manca in Brixton Village when we returned to London after Christmas. As for Christmas itself, it was full of the usual turkey roast dinner with plenty of pigs in blankets!

What I watched:
We finished watching the last ever season of Nurse Jackie, which had an ambiguous ending that reminded me a bit of The Sopranos' ending, another Edie Falco show. We also finished watching the last ever series of Peep Show.

Films watched: Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones, Ant-Man, E.T, Non-Stop, Home Alone, Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith, Cinderella, Star Wars IV: A New Hope, Focus, Big Eyes, Home Alone 2, Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi, CHAPPiE, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Beethoven's Second, Anger Management, Ted 2, Batman Forever, Ant-Man (yep, again!), Inside Out, Big Hero Six, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, You've Got Mail, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb and Kill Bill: Volume 1.


As you can probably guess from rewatching all the Star Wars films, we headed to the cinema to watch Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens - not once, but twice! We watched a midnight showing at our local cinema as soon as it came out, and then went to see it in laser IMAX at the Empire in Leicester Square a few days later. Everyone should see at least one film there - the screen is massive!

What I read:
In December I read 11 books and seven short stories, abandoned reading one book, plus listened to one audiobook. My favourite was the audio book: Robert Galbraith's Career of Evil, read by Robert Glenister. I also enjoyed: One Hundred Christmas Proposals by Holly Martin, How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake, The Snow Angel by Lulu Taylor and The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.

How was your December? I hope that you all had a lovely Christmas! x

No comments