The month that was: July

What happened:
July started with a heatwave, but then in true British fashion the hot weather disappeared and the gloomy grey skies that have emerged are more suitable for October. Doh! We've booked our summer holiday though so we have some proper Greek sunshine to look forward to - I can't wait!

     
Friends came over to visit from Ireland, so we went to see The Lion King and made a flying visit to the Science Museum and Trafalgar Square. It's the third time that I've seen The Lion King on the West End, and it's still as colourful and wonderful as ever. (Apart from when Mufasa dies. *sobs*) We also headed to Yorkshire to celebrate my brother's birthday and my nephew's birthday.

     
I headed back to Notting Hill to do some social media work, which made a change from writing, but it also geared me up to get the first draft of Found finished in August. There's nothing quite like a dose of sweaty crammed commutes on the Tube and working in a noisy air-conditioned office to refocus you on your writing! (Though, on the plus side, I got to have my favourite chicken katsu curry from Wasabi for lunch, and it was good to use my brain in a different way.)

     
We also headed to Sunset Safari at ZSL London Zoo, which is when the zoo stays open until 10pm. I absolutely loved it, especially seeing the giraffes and the penguins (review here). That same weekend we popped along to the Lambeth Country Show - we checked out the scarecrow competition, though we didn't see any camel racing this year!

What I ate:
In July we headed to Duck and Waffle for a belated anniversary dinner. The verdict? Tasty food with an awesome view (review here). We headed to Com Viet with friends for cheap and cheerful Vietnamese food, and then had lunch with them the next day at the V&A. If you're ever in the area and are stuck for lunch, it's a great place to head to - the café area is stunning.

     
I tried out Sri Suwoon with a friend - they do yummy Thai food if you're in the Victoria/Pimlico area - and Olly and I went on a burrito lunch date at Chilango. I had lunch at Honest Burger in Notting Hill - their burgers never look that inspiring, but they taste yum - and Olly and I returned to the Bengal Clipper for a curry with his parents. Finally, I had dinner with a friend at Wagamama. The service was pretty poor, and they always give you far too many noodles, but I do like their gyoza.

What I watched:
I finished watching Switched at Birth. I liked it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as it's very day-to-day - I prefer a bit more drama with my TV shows! I also continued to watch Humans and Pretty Little Liars - there's only one more episode of Humans left, and I can't wait to find out how it ends!

Films watched: 21 Jump Street, 22 Jump Street, Jupiter Ascending, The Skeleton Twins, Cars, Margin Call, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Boyhood, The Hangover and Little Fockers.

What I read: 
In July I read 18 books, and I abandoned reading 4 books. My favourite read of the month was Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot; I also enjoyed The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort, You Had Me at Merlot by Lisa Dickenson, Travelling to Infinity by Jane Hawking, and White Wedding by Milly Johnson.

How was your July? x

No comments