Life of Late: November 2014

My Dad was in town recently, which meant us playing tourist, something I always enjoy doing! Look out for my posts on some of the touristy things we did next week, but today I wanted to tell you about The Paddington Trail, the musical Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, plus the poppies at the Tower of London.

First up, The Paddington Trail. To celebrate the movie, fifty Paddington Bears have been dotted around London, and we spotted a few when we were out and about. This sort of thing is nothing new in London - they did it for the Olympics with Wenlock and Mandeville, and there was a Fabergé Egg Hunt, to name a few - but the Paddington Bears are fun, and made me smile. I've got until the end of the year to spot some more!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels made me smile and laugh. On at the Savoy Theatre, Robert Lindsay and Alex Gaumond were perfect as scoundrels Lawrence Jameson and Freddy Benson, and it was a marvellous musical. It's based on the movie of the same name, which starred Steve Martin and Michael Caine as the scoundrels. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was highly entertaining, funny, and Robert Lindsay was, especially, brilliant in it. (Actually, so was Alex Gaumond who we we saw earlier in the year in Matilda, and Bonnie Langford was awesome, too!) I've never seen the movie, so can't compare, but it was a delight on the West End - I still have some of the songs in my head a week on!

Finally, on Armistice Day, the last of the 888,246 ceramic poppies were planted at the Tower of London, before they were swiftly picked to send off to the people that had bought them to raise money for six service charities.

"Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red" represents the 888,246 British and Commonwealth military deaths that happened in World War I. The poppies were planted in the moat at the Tower of London.

Whilst we were there a few days after Armistice Day when a lot had already been picked, it was still a sobering sight to see the poppies that are still remaining. (They will be all removed by November 28th, though some will go on tour over the next few years.)

You can't buy any of these poppies as they are all sold out, but you can still make a (charitable) dedication to show your support. 

Other than that, I've been busy writing and flat hunting. Because of  a few issues that have cropped up, it's time to find a new home after living in Brixton for the past eighteen months. What scares me is that this blog post I wrote in 2010 still applies! OK, I'm living with Olly (and Comps) so I don't have the worry of flatmates and party houses, but you'd be amazed at how many adverts don't include any photos or, if they do, they can be really random ones like a picture of the bus stop outside of the house but none of the actual house itself. Bizarre!

How's it going for everyone else? What's been happening in your life of late, and did you get chance to see the poppies at the Tower of London? x

No comments