Writer Wednesday: Jennifer Joyce

Jennifer Joyce is a writer of romantic comedies who lives in Manchester with her husband and their two daughters. When she isn’t disappearing into her own fictional worlds, she can be found waffling on her blog and reviewing books for Novelicious’ Alternative Thursday. Her debut novel, A Beginner’s Guide To Salad is out now.

1. Why did you want to become a writer? 
Being a writer is something I have always wanted to do, from being a kid who could barely write a sentence (and with terrible spelling). I was always scribbling down stories on bits of paper! When I was around 10, a teacher took us to our local library, where a children’s author was giving a talk. It was at that moment that I realised writing stories was something I could actually do as a job when I was a grown up.

2. What's the toughest part of the writing process for you? 
The first draft can be pretty tough. I start off all fired up and passionate about my book and characters, my fingers flying on the keyboard as they attempt to keep up with my brain. And then the slump kicks in. Powering through the slump is a massive chore. I’m still passionate about the book (otherwise, what is the point?) but the words seem stuck somewhere other than in my word document. Eventually – thankfully – I somehow get through the slump and it’s a joy to write again.

3. What's the most enjoyable part of writing? 
For me, it has been seeing my book looking like an actual book on my Kindle instead of a mass of words on a computer screen.

4. Out of all the amazing books out there, which book do you wish you had written and why? 
Ooh, tough question. I guess it would be Bridget Jones’s Diary. Bridget is a wonderful character and her book is fun and pure escapism. Plus, the book translated really well on the big screen, which doesn’t always happen.

5. If you could only save one of your characters from fictional calamity, who would you pick and why? 
It would have to be Ruth Lynch. I adore Ruth! It has been such a joy getting to know her and I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her. Ever. She deserves a happy ever after.

6. If you could spend the day with your favourite character (not from your books), who would you spend it with and what would you do? 
Can I spend it with a whole family? I love the Walsh family from Marian Keyes’ books. They’re hilarious! I’d love to just sit in their sitting room and listen to their bickering and funny stories.

7. What can we expect next from you? 
I’m working on my second novel, which is a ‘be careful what you wish for’ kind of book. Ally isn’t satisfied with the life she has with husband Gavin and wishes she had a more glamorous life, like that of her young, free and single colleague. When Ally makes a birthday wish, it comes true and she’s transported to a completely different life.

8. Is there any particular writing advice you wish you'd been given at the start of your writing career? If so, what is it? If not, what advice would you give to someone starting out? 
I’m sure many, many writers have advised this, but I haven’t practised it until now but you really do have to believe in yourself and your writing.

9. Tell us what a typical writing day involves for you. 
I drop my daughters off at school and then spend the morning writing (after a faff about on the net first. This isn’t technically on the agenda, but always, always happens). I aim to write 2,000 words before lunch. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t. I then spend the afternoon doing non-writing things, like scheduling blog posts or designing book covers etc. There is also some more faffing about on the net.

10. Finally, what are you reading at the moment? 
I’m reading The Duchess Hunt by Jennifer Haymore, an historical romance that I’m enjoying very much.

A Beginner's Guide to Salad

Ruth loves nothing more than curling up in front of the telly with a family-sized bar of chocolate. She doesn’t do diets and she certainly doesn’t do exercise. But all that changes when she’s invited to her school reunion.

Bullied at school for being overweight, Ruth’s first reaction is to rip the invitation into a million pieces. But then Ruth hatches a plan. She’ll lose the weight and arrive at the reunion looking gorgeous and glamorous, leaving her old classmates in awe. Especially her former crush, Zack O’Connell.

With the help of her friends and a new, unbelievably hot colleague, Ruth begins her transformation. With six months until the reunion, losing weight will be a piece of cake, right?

Buy on Amazon | Follow Jennifer on Twitter
Like her on Facebook | Visit her website

No comments