Happy Roald Dahl Day!

Today is Roald Dahl Day, as you might have gathered from the well-wish above, and since I absolutely love Roald Dahl books I had to blog about him. But, I can't mention Roald Dahl in isolation. If you think of Roald Dahl, you will probably think of the marvellous Quentin Blake who illustrated his books.

Roald Dahl died when I was five and I can remember my utter disappointment at being told this because it meant that I couldn't write him a letter (ditto for Enid Blyton, my other great childhood author) but his books spanned my childhood and have a fond place in my heart.

If I could have wrote him a letter though it would have been gushing and full of praise for his wonderful books: Fantastic Mr Fox. George's Marvellous Medicine. The Minpins. Danny, the Champion of the World. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Matilda. The BFG. I could go on.

Dahl knew the power of the word and he knew how to use it, and even though the themes of his books were somewhat bleak with their abusive aunts and law-breaking dads, to name a few, they were always (and still are) magical worlds that he took you which would make you smile, make you laugh, and make you love reading.

Here's to the wonderful Roald Dahl! Are you a fan? What is your favourite Roald Dahl book?

"Don't gobblefunk around with words" 
~ The BFG.

No comments